Thursday, September 1, 2016

Creative Indeed Open in Hagatna

Michelle Pier is an artist and entrepreneur, born and raised on Guam and inspired by the simple beauty and complex history of her island home. She has Chamorro blood running through her veins, though her family is of a mixed background. Michelle resonates with the strong women in her family. One of those women was Agueda Johnston, her great-grandmother, who was known for her roles in building up education on Guam before and after WWII, as well as her efforts during WWII. She was beaten for being suspected by the Japanese of helping to hide the last American radioman to keep contact with the U.S. Her husband died in a concentration camp in Japan and she was left to raise their seven children on her own. Michelle admires her great-grandmother's endurance and strength, and made her own commitment to herself to live a full life of joy and purpose.

Michelle taught herself to draw and create things at a very young age and has always had a strong creative spark. She paints with thick flowing textures, layers of metallic and colorful scenery, sometimes abstract and always full of energy. She has taken some art classes at the University of Guam, as well as the City College of San Francisco, but mostly she loves to learn by experimenting. Michelle started painting consistently after she became a single mother of two and needed to create as a way to turn around a dark time in her life. She started a business in 2009 creating and selling art, and holding classes as well as large community events. She has since exhibited and sold hundreds of original acrylic paintings and prints locally and abroad. She has contributed art toward many local events and organizations. In 2015, the SBA awarded her the Home-based Business Champion of the year. She encourages people to follow their passions and live life to its full potential. Michelle hopes to continue sharing Guam's unique story with the world through art.


When asked how the Guam SBDC and other resources helped her in starting her business, Michelle stated, “When I was first getting started in my business, I was overwhelmed with the process and couldn't see a clear path ahead. Someone referred me to the free services offered by the Small Business Development Center, and I was immediately relieved that it even existed. At that stage in my business, I had no capital, and was in no financial position to be investing in business mentorship. I was assigned to Denise Mendiola, and met with her periodically to strategize what steps to take next in my business. She helped me to create a business plan step by step, and made the daunting task seem doable. She helped me to consider all options and resources available to me, whether I wanted to apply for a loan or seek other funding sources. She guided me through the process of applying for a space at the Chamorro Village, even though I ultimately shifted toward securing a physical space elsewhere. I really appreciated that Denise was a businesswoman herself and could relate to my experience. She helped me navigate my goals and create actionable steps throughout various stages in my business over the years. I absolutely love and appreciate that the service is ongoing and free of charge, as it brings relief and reassurance to know that I have the support of the SBDC if I come up against certain challenges. I recommend to anyone who is thinking of starting a business, or looking at expanding an existing business, to utilize the valuable services offered by the SBDC to navigate the steps of the process. They have been an instrumental part of my business's success over the years, and for that I am truly grateful.”


For more information on how the Guam SBDC can assist you, visit www.pacificsbdc.com