Friday, September 16, 2016

An Interview with Sakura Car Rental Owner Evelyn Palik

Interviewed by: Julian Abraham
Business Advisor
(Kosrae SBDC)

Julian Abraham, Kosrae SBDC Business Advisor, sat down with Evelyn Palik, owner of Sakura Car Rental to discuss the start-up process of opening up her business.

Please tell us about yourself and your family. I am Evelyn Billy Palik, 44 years of age, a proud resident of Lelu. I have 6 kids, and 1 grandchild.

display of cars for rent
Why did you decide to start your own business? I am currently operating a small retail store and wanted to extend the line of business into other areas, such as SUV rental service.
What experience do you have in this type of business? I do not have too much experience, but being exposed to “retailing” with my father during the good years in business, I am confident that I could do well.

How did the Small Business Development Center and other resources help you? The Kosrae SBDC assisted me by guiding me through the paperwork and business proposal process. In addition, they positively pushed me to reach my goals.
How did you fund your business? Most of the funding came from Pacific Islands Development Bank (PIDB) with a minimal amount being put up by us.
What were some of the biggest challenges/experienced you experienced in the start-up process? Seeking financial assistance and compiling a workable business plan were the challenges I faced in the start-up process.
What is your most memorable triumph in your start-up process? My most memorable triumph would be the approved financial assistance.
What are your short-term and long-term plans for your business? Short term plan: link up with partners and advertise. Long term plan: the business to be able to sustain itself by the end of the financial assistance period.
What advice would you give to others who want to start a business at this time? Starting a business could be challenging but help is just a phone call away, call the SBDC staff.

For more information on how the Kosrae SBDC can assist you, contact the main office at 691-370-2751 or visit our website at www.pacificsbdc.com