Friday, June 7, 2013

Conscious BEauty & WELL-being Spatique opens in Tamuning

By: Denise Mendiola-Hertslet
Senior Business Counselor, WIB Program Coordinator
(Guam SBDC)

Yolanda Bordallo was born and raised on Guam and attended San Diego State University.  Upon graduation, she opened an import furnishing store but closed her doors three years after due to the recession. She considered this a “fabulous experience!” Afterwards, Yolanda focused mostly in sales; always top dog but not high ticket items and a few management positions that she found very interesting.  Then she decided to go into an area which she found was fun for her.  She began studying skincare and massage and worked in a couple of “natural spas” and stocked personal care products for a small natural retailer who went out of business.   Yolanda thought this was a great opportunity to move this stock to Guam and then relocate home to be near family and be a part of the natural, green movement starting up on Island.

Yolanda Bordallo, owner of Conscious BEauty & WELL-being Spatique

 
Why did you decide to start your own business?
YB: I thought it was a good opportunity in a niche market.

 
What experience do you have in this type of business?
YB: I worked in a couple of natural spas, then retail sales with an existing natural retailer.  I did independent sales for several natural skincare/food product lines, and attended numerous Skincare, Spa, BEauty, Holistic Health and Wellness, Natural and Organic Products, and Green Industry Tradeshows.

How did the Guam Small Business Development Center and other resources help you?
YB: I have attended several workshops which were helpful.  The counselors showed me the need to do a business plan, so I could understand my business, where I was going and what I needed to do to get there.  This was important to me, especially if I was going to seek funding.

What was the start-up process like?
YB: I brought everything (inventory and supplies) that I had from San Diego because I was planning on moving back to Guam.

How did you fund your business?
YB: A good friend of mine gave me start-up money and then I used every penny I had towards equipment and more inventory.

What were some of the biggest challenges you experienced in the start-up process.
YB: Marketing the business seemed too expensive and I had virtually no funds.  I am not savvy with social marketing, though I am forcing myself to do it now out of necessity!

What is your most memorable triumph in your start-up process?
YB: Just having it all come together as far as timing with Dr. Horinouchi's Wellness Clinic…This is an interesting story!   The very first day he learned he would be leaving SDA was the day that I came into his office and introduced myself and suggested we team up!  Before I arrived to Guam, I had it in my mind that I would like to join up with a Wellness Clinic.  And, it has worked out, with God’s blessing of course!

What are your short-term and long-term plans for your business?
YB: Clearing out existing inventory, paring down inventory and stock to strictly therapeutic products, and focusing on marketing the business.

What advice would you give to others who want to start a business at this time?
YB: Be very conservative with inventory.  Keep expenses low... and market aggressively!